Kurukku Kalan/ Katti Kalan :
- Nendran Kaya/ Raw plantain : 1 no. big
- Yam : 1 cup
- Yogurt , preferably thick curd : 1/2 liter
- Pepper powder : 1 tsp
- Turmeric powder : 2 tsp
- Curry leaves : 2-3 sprigs
- Chilli powder : 1/2 tsp
- Ghee : 1 tsp
- Fenugreek seeds, roasted and powdered : 1/4 tsp
- Mustard seeds : 2 tsp
- Dried red chillies : 4-5
- Curry leaves : 1 sprig
- Oil, preferably coconut oil : 1 tsp
- Salt : to taste
To grind to a smooth paste :
- Coconut grated finely : 1 - 1 1/2 cup
- Green chillies : 4-5 nos.
- Cumin seeds : 1 tsp
- Cut the vegetables into cubes.
- In a thick bottomed vessel, preferably uruli, boil 1 cup of water,add turmeric powder, chilli powder and pepper powder to it.
- Add the vegetables to the water and let it boil. DO NOT add salt at this stage because the vegetables wont get cooked if salt is added.
- Meanwhile, grind the coconut, green chilli and cumin to a thick and smooth paste, adding very little water.
- The paste has to be very smooth, nicely ground.
- When the water is completely drained from the vessel, add 1 tsp ghee and mix, taking care not to smash the vegetables. Add salt.
- Now, add the thick curd, simmering the flame.
- Let it boil, reaching a semi-thick consistency.
- Now add the ground coconut paste and curry leaves, give a mix. Just when bubbles start appearing, switch off the flame.
- Sprinkle the powdered fenugreek on top of this.
- Splutter the mustard, dried red chilli and curry leaves , add this to the prepared kalan.
*The kurukku kalan is supposed to be thick, with no gravy. But one can adjust the consistency to desired level by increasing/decreasing the consistency of the curd and the coconut paste.
*Please excuse the picture, the kalan was made the previous day, so does not appear fresh. Will update a freshly made kalan picture soon. :)
Serves : 4-5
- Drumstick : 2 nos.
- Long beans/ Achinga payar : 5-6 nos.
- Ash gourd/ elavan : 1 cup
- Carrot : 1 cup
- Plantain/ pacha kaya : 1 no.
- Yam/ chena : 1/2 cup
- Turmeric powder : 1/2 tsp
- Coconut grated : 1 cup
- Green chillies : 4-5 tsp
- Cumin seeds : 1/2 tsp
- Yogurt : 4 tbsp
- Curry leaves : 2 sprigs
- Coconut oil : 1 tbsp
- Salt : to taste
- Cut all vegetables in baton shape/ 2 inch long. Cook the vegetables in a thick bottomed vessel, in half a cup of water and turmeric powder.
- Grind the coconut, green chilli and cumin seeds to a coarse paste or pulse in the mixer jar.
- When the water in the vessel is drained, add salt and give a stir. Add the coconut paste, mix well.
- Take care not to mash the vegetables while stirring.
- Cook for around 5 minutes.
- Next add curds and curry leaves and give a stir.
- Cook till vegetables are all cooked.
- Switch off the flame and pour a tbsp coconut oil on top.