Vegetable Fried Rice

I must really thank Sharmi for this recipe. I have tried fried rice many times, but have not got that restaurant-taste ever. When I found this recipe, I thought I should give it a try, and lo! The end result was just AWESOME! Trust me, it is really that restaurant style fried rice indeed !


What's in it :


  • Basmati rice : 1 cup
  • Onion : 1 medium
  • Garlic : 3 cloves minced
  • Carrots : 1 chopped
  • Beans : 5-6 chopped
  • Capsicum : half of a small one, chopped
  • Cabbage : 1/4 cup chopped
  • Spring onions : 2 tbsp
  • Soy sauce : 1 tsp
  • Olive oil 
  • Salt : to taste



Let's do it !


  1. Wash and cook basmati rice in a vessel with lot of water and salt to taste. Once the grains are just cooked, drain away the water and keep aside. 
  2. The rice should not be sticky; so take care not to overcook it.
  3. Heat oil in a pan and add chopped onions and garlic, saute well. The onions need not turn brown.
  4. Add carrots, beans, cabbage, spring onions and saute till they are cooked.
  5. Add capsicum and give a stir.
  6. Now add soya sauce and salt to taste.
  7. Mix well. To this add the cooked rice and give a nice stir.
  8. Take care not to stir vigorously and mash/break the rice.
  9. Garnish with chopped spring onions. 
  10. Serve hot with Gobi Manchurain and tomato sauce !



PS : The original recipe calls for 2 tsp pepper powder in the rice as well. I omitted this as I wanted my son to  savor this without excuses :).  

Comments